Eco-friendly is no longer enough—having all materials being recyclable isn't the best that we can do. The sustainable use of resources, including how labor is treated, is a core tenet for us. Sustainability isn't marketing, it's a challenge to which we must all rise.
Certifications earned by our game components:
- ISO 9001 - quality management system to provide products and services that meet customer and regulatory requirements
- ISO 14001 - environmental management system to improve resource efficiency and reduce waste by measuring and improving their environmental impact
- ISO 50001 - energy management system to improve energy performance, reduce energy use, and greenhouse gas emissions
- PEFC - responsible and sustainable forest management focused on small forest owners
- FSC - wood purchased only from well-managed forests employing responsible forest management
- OHSAS - health and safety policy protecting employees against occupational risks and reducing accidents in the workplace
- Blue Angel - products that support global product-related environmental protection
- OSHA - US health and safety policy protecting employees against occupational risks and reducing workplace accidents
- ASI Performance Standard - aluminum sustainability for greenhouse gas emissions, waste management, stewardship, biodiversity, and human & labor rights
- SFI - fiber sourcing from responsible forestry practices from non-controversial sources, labor-friendly, and/or material diverted from the waste stream
- UK Modern Slavery Act 2015 compliant - including tied visas and supply chain transparency
We don't have confirmation of certifications for our Chessex dice which are manufactured in England, Germany, and Denmark, or for our magnetic labels (their factory is 100% solar-powered) or rules paper.
As a former professor of Environmental Science and a former laboratory geologist, we only show the certifications we've confirmed (via chain-of-custody).
We're able to select our vendors because we do the labor ourselves. And spending a few cents more on sustainable meeples is something we choose to do. But it does limit how custom we can be—a side benefit is that off-the-shelf components also have a smaller carbon footprint than custom-made components.
When you play our games, you're voting for more responsible game development and accountability.
Your support spurs us on to become better with each game—thank you.