The sustainable use of resources, including the treatment of labor, is a core tenet for us. Here’s what we do.
Our 10-tonne carbon-offset subscription covers:
- our website servers
- your web surfing to get here
- traffic to our Kickstarters
- home production and shipping
This is possible because of your support—thank you.
We source as green as possible, for example:
- 100% recycled steel for our tins
- 100% recycled plastic for our bags
- 100% solar-powered factory for our magnetic labels
- 100% post-consumer waste paper for our game rules
- Blue Angel ecolabel for meeples and cubes
And from countries with strong environmental regulation such as Germany, Denmark, United Kingdom, and the US. If we can source it as US-made, we do so to also reduce the transportation footprint.
Our component suppliers have earned these certificates:
- ISO 9001 - quality management to provide products and services that meet customer and regulatory requirements
- ISO 14001 - environmental management to improve resource efficiency and reduce waste by measuring and improving their environmental impact
- ISO 45001 - health and safety policy protecting employees against occupational risks and reducing workplace accidents
- ISO 50001 - energy management to improve energy performance, reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions
- PEFC - responsible and sustainable forest management focused on small forest owners
- FSC - wood purchased only from well-managed forests employing responsible forest management
- Blue Angel - German ecolabel for high standards for environmentally-friendly product design
- OSHA - US health and safety policy protecting employees against occupational risks and reducing workplace accidents
- ASI Performance Standard - aluminum sustainability for greenhouse gas emissions, waste management, stewardship, biodiversity, and human & labor rights
- SFI - paper and chipboard fiber sourcing from responsible forestry practices from non-controversial and labor-friendly sources, and material diverted from the waste stream
- UK Modern Slavery Act 2015 compliant - includes tied visas and supply chain transparency
We don’t have certificates for Chessex dice manufactured in England, Germany, and Denmark. But they do meet the strict manufacturing and environmental standards of each country. As a former Environmental Science professor and lab geologist, I only consider those with chain-of-custody verification as official.
We have full control over the suppliers we use because we assemble and produce the games ourselves. For example, we choose to spend a few cents more for environmentally-friendly meeples. This means they aren’t made to order, but they have a smaller carbon footprint than custom-made products.
When you play our games—you’re a part of responsible game development and accountability—thank you.